Thursday, January 12, 2012

California Dreamin'

I wrote out this piece early on Wednesday afternoon full of pessimism regarding Vokoun's start against the Penguins and what else could happen but I was proved wrong, but still here is my thoughts from then.


 If only it were a dream. I have never been further west than Knoxville, Tennessee in my travels (thought I have been as far as Pakistan going eastward) so I don't know about the concept of jet lag, but it would seem to me that it would be hard for men who have been working on the same activity for approximately twenty years to forget how to do same activity because of a change in time zones. Still, in two games out in the golden state, the Caps lost 5-2 to San Jose and then to Los Angeles by the same score.

 That's nine goals given up by Vokoun in two games. (Neuvirth took over  in the third vs LA). In three of the four goals given up on Monday, they were the result of not moving side-to-side quick enough, a complaint I've had here since Day 1. On the Comast television broadcast, Craig Laughlin noted that Vokoun's new pads were harder, causing more of a rebound. Not the best strategy I would think for someone who cannot react quickly and has defensemen that seem to hinder more than help.

So logic dictates he's the starter tonight against Pittsburgh- a game on the newly minted NBC Sports Network against big time rivals? I'd love to know what brewing in the coffee pot at Kettler b/c I'm not seeing what they seem to be seeing. The net is going to be guarded by a man whose style is somewhere between a butterfly and the breaststroke? Even without Penguin big guns, I don't feel too confident about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment