Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hater or Tired of Crap?

The Washington Post's DC Sports Bog is now under co-ownership. Sarah Kogod has been added to the banner pic and has been posting the last few entries. I know they're meant to be whimsical fluff, the crazy things the players and their fans do in the course of their days, but I expect a story on a professional journalism site to have a beginning, middle, end, and a theme. Technically, the post from this morning, "Kevin Seraphin needs more food" fit the bill. I clicked it because I like Kevin and I wanted to know more. I read 193 words that felt like it could have been punctuated with sad faces. Blog culture is more relaxed, I get it. I don't claim any of these posts are good enough for paid work because they aren't. I'd work my ass off if this was my job and take full advantage of the resources available. I fully regret getting all swoony around Mike Rizzo and Alan May and George McPhee but those were chance encounters, not mandated media time and I can't pull questions off the top of my head like I maybe should.

So back to the point- I thought the article wasn't straightforward and that was my fault for reading it quickly on an ipod touch with a red battery level. I corrected myself, and soon after get the author herself commenting," Well, how many many words can one really write about someone's dinner?"

Apparently not even 200. I know it's bordering on "basement-dwelling hater" to correct someone's finished work, but I felt there were plenty of directions to go with that scrap of an idea, especially with player access. So I answered that was exactly my point and get a response that all future food posts would be directed to the Post's food critic. Now that reeks of, "Boo-hoo poor me" which provokes my "Shut up and nut up" response.

Twenty seconds of web search tells me that Kevin Seraphin is from France, a place well known for its cuisine and that the league salary minimum as of the 2010-2011 season is in the high enough six figures you can see seven if you look in the right light, so packing a lunch in the heart of Chinatown and its myriad of restaurants to save a few bucks and guarantee satisfaction is a cute but unlikely situation that could have been easily expanded upon with direct player access and ten more minutes before posting. Especially since another five seconds of reading game stats tells me that Kevin was at or near season highs for points, minutes and rebounds Sunday and Monday so maybe a little hunger in his belly is the right fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment