Thursday, September 15, 2011

Caps Rookie Camp Day 4

I can say I've now been on the ice with Bruce Boudreau.

It's not something I'm going to have on my gravestone or even mention to many people, but I can say it and it won't be a lie.

The plan had been to catch a little practice, skate, then watch the scrimmage, but upon arriving at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the rookies were on the "public" rink. It was a nice change, almost 360 degrees of right on the less-scuffed glass viewing. I found myself a spot and took a few shots.


As unexpected as that was, the real thrill was walking through and looking up and seeing Assistant Goalie Coach Olie Kolzig up on the balcony. If I had a better camera you'd know right away that's him to the left of the exit sign in the picture below, but in 2009 it was a nice model...




Since the scrimmage part of the camp wasn't scheduled until forty five minutes later and the team taking over the public rink meant that open skate was being held on the Capitals rink, I figured I had time to get my laps in before the day ended. So I laced up my pink laces on my ancient Bauer skates, while thinking I probably got them before Ovi even started school, and headed off to where the big boys skate.

Who knows how many laps I actually did because I was so distracted checking out everything from the new perspective, I know I lost count several times and picked the lower number every time I forgot. The ice felt nicer but it was good to see they also had a dark and bumpy patch right where the zamboni comes in just like on the other rink, so those of us on the other side aren't the only ones who have to deal with that. I was peeking in the press conference room, down the hall behind the bench, into the press room where Katie Carrera and Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post were working. I tweeted later that I wanted to wave to them but I felt like it would be too loserific, but Tarik actually answered and said I should have. Oh well.

At my 37th lap, I gave into my loser self though when Coach Kolzig walked down the bleachers right by me. He stared like I was an idiot, just as I figured, but I didn't care. Lap 38 and Coach Woods skated across to the door behind the bench. On lap 39, Coach Boudreau did the same. Just as well that we weren't intersecting because I've been feeling less than generous towards him lately.

Cameras and Cold Stone- Ballston must be Coach's favorite place to be.



Everyone seemed to be coming off the ice at the same time. I caught the players headed off as I was packing up my stuff.

I hung around a while to see if everything was truly over or if it was just a break, and found out that the scrimmage part of the day had been greatly reduced and tacked on to the end of practice. I had been too slow and missed it. However, on the elevator down, Coach Evason came in and then saw Boudreau again in the food court.




I had been prepared to watch and see if anyone was clearly breaking out from the others, but truthfully I didn't know any of them past Eakin and Orlov and Grubauer, so I probably would not have contributed much. Regular camp starts Saturday which will be jam packed so I will swing by and check it out on Monday with my trusty little red camera.







No comments:

Post a Comment